Emilia-Romagna’s former manager has been left disappointed by the way his side’s second-half defeat at Napoli on Sunday unfolded, but still believes it is a moment to remember for Italy.
After taking over from Francesco Guidolin on Monday, Mancino was quick to put pen to paper on a four-year deal and will now be tasked with helping his side to a second consecutive Serie A title.
“It is difficult to be here at the moment, because I was at the top for four years,” the former Inter boss told The Times.
“I can’t believe it’s now gone.”
I think I’ve said everything I can in the last few days and I’m not going to be able to give an answer to the fans.
“They deserve to be disappointed, but they are the ones who have the most to lose.”
A’Giosio Maccoini had the final word on the game, with a tweet from the player after the game telling the faithful to ‘stop being so selfish’ and to ‘not look to blame anyone’.
Mancino’s team are now four points behind leaders Juventus with three games remaining in Serie A, while the Giallorossi have four games left in the season and have lost just one of their last five games.
Mancini has not won a game in Italy since taking over in January, when he was sacked in favour of Guidolin.
“We have to stop being so stupid, because it’s difficult to win, and to think we have a chance of winning it,” he said.
“If we had a better performance, we would have been in the title race a long time ago.”
Mancinino said he had spoken to the players after the match, but admitted that the team’s performance had been “not good enough”.
“We did not score enough, and we had to defend the ball well,” he added.
“We have not played well enough to have a positive result.”